BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes

Star Wars A-Wing Kit Masters
1/24th Scale

Here we go again!Page 2...Obvious I know but there you have it.Page 3. oh the fun of it all.Page 4. More re-work lord save us all.Page 5. for what it's worth.Page 6.......Page 7 Lumpy bits!Page 8 Straightening a few things outPage 9 Odds and sods plus castingPage 10 Holy crap! Double figures!!

Page Number

And Now...

The Engine Lump...
And I Got Some Removal To Do.

Welcome back to the hellhole gang, how goes it people ?

Right then, moving this...thing...along we get to the main engine part.
Now there be only one, the trick being to cast two of from the one mould...yeah...right.
I know what ya thinkin', "What's wrong with that idea?"

Well nothing really but I want just a smidgen of surface detail, an access panel or two and I want a mirror image for the other side so...
A wee bit of reworking and anyway's, since i'm going to be offering lighting as standard, little bit of work to do.

So then, first to remove the unwanted material.
So out with me 1" auger bit and off we go...well sort of...here is said engine lump...

MVC-844S.JPG - 37820 Bytes

MVC-845S.JPG - 38033 Bytes

Now the bit was removing stuff at a fair rate so all good there...well right up until the bit started bouncing up and down...no i'm not kidding.
So casting my peepers inside I found this...

MVC-839S.JPG - 38391 Bytes

After a poke about with a toothpick, the dark stuff turned out to be clear rubber sealant...a lot of it.

MVC-840S.JPG - 39165 Bytes

MVC-841S.JPG - 37792 Bytes

MVC-842S.JPG - 37510 Bytes

MVC-843S.JPG - 37837 Bytes

So I got in there with a pair of needle nose pliers, got a grip and gave a pull...

MVC-847S.JPG - 38317 Bytes

MVC-848S.JPG - 38507 Bytes

MVC-849S.JPG - 38009 Bytes

And I was left with a fairly substantial hole.

MVC-846S.JPG - 38594 Bytes

I thought the flat of that part felt oddly spongy.

Now most folks know me and i'm not one to complain much but this kind of amateurish hack job done on the cheap really annoys me.
And this stuff was made by a supposed 'pattern maker'
I have not the slightest clue where the person concerned did his pattern and tool making apprenticeship (if at all) but it was no bloody place i'm aware of for crying out loud !!

Rant over, onward !

So the next little deal was to make a dish for a light reflector, que one plastic dome and some heated plasticard...

MVC-092S.JPG - 38166 Bytes

Just a wee slice down and trim up, carefully shove into position and run some epoxy round the back.
A dab or four of putty on the inside and sand the living daylights out of to make smooth.

MVC-095S.JPG - 37812 Bytes

Back filled the large hole with some resin so packed out and solid...this time...Cleared up a few surface defects and made smooth.
A goodly blast of primer and we have...

MVC-115S.JPG - 38090 Bytes

MVC-116S.JPG - 37482 Bytes

Now this will be moulded and two cast off to make the engines proper and fit them out to accept LED's.

So then, one last thing, I do like the Revell Tomcat engine ring so duly robbed one from the kit.
Cut off the rear pipe bit, sanded the living manure out of it and we ended up with...

MVC-117S.JPG - 39417 Bytes

Nice.
Drilled out the center and it sits in the engine rear like so.

MVC-118S.JPG - 38142 Bytes

MVC-119S.JPG - 36792 Bytes

Aye, that'll about do it methinks.
So on the subject of lighting, had an idea ...I get that now and again you know...
So decided as a 'use or loose' thing to throw in i'd include two of these run up on dry rubdown decal paper.

MVC-126S.JPG - 37567 Bytes

MVC-121S.JPG - 35523 Bytes

The idea is simple, these will be on 5thou clear sheet, just cutout and install.
Here's one 'as is' in a rough setup without and with a light at the back.

MVC-122S.JPG - 36933 Bytes

MVC-123S.JPG - 36810 Bytes

Same again but with the engine piece in.

MVC-124S.JPG - 37207 Bytes

MVC-125S.JPG - 37611 Bytes

Well kinda different but i'll leave it to the builder as to whether they wanna use them or not.

Well last but by no means least, here's a few pics sent to me by someone who bought one of the original run of kits cast Stateside I do believe.
Just thought you may like to see what was originally put out...

At a cost of $200 per kit.


100_1603.jpg - 31216 Bytes

100_1605.jpg - 28964 Bytes

100_1606.jpg - 39381 Bytes

100_1607.jpg - 32447 Bytes

100_1633.jpg - 28790 Bytes

A-wing_fr.JPG - 22832 Bytes

A-wing_lft.JPG - 26022 Bytes

A-wing_rt.JPG - 19044 Bytes

A-wing_rt_fr.JPG - 24402 Bytes

I can't swear to it but I don't think the cost included the elastic band...
No, before you ask, my kits are not going to be that expensive and I am not talking $199.99 either so be patient, all will be revealed soon enough me modeling mates!

And that's it for this wee update such as it is, more to come I assure you.
Go easy you merry lot!

Here we go again!Page 2...Obvious I know but there you have it.Page 3. oh the fun of it all.Page 4. More re-work lord save us all.Page 5. for what it's worth.Page 6.......Page 7 Lumpy bits!Page 8 Straightening a few things outPage 9 Odds and sods plus castingPage 10 Holy crap! Double figures!!

Page Number


BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes