BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes

Panart Gun Deck Section
1/23rd Scale

Oh...looky here...Page 1Page 2...now there's a shock!Page 3...Just a few more bits.Page 4 going in leaps and bounds here.Page 5 Framing fun and games ya know.Page 6, startin' to get together.Page 7...twice in a day, good grief.Page 8. Odds and sods.Page 9. Bits and bobsPage 10. Double figures...now theres a thing

Page 11. And...i'm spent

Page Number

Yea verily...

More Wooden Walling Dontchaknow!

Welcome back gang.
Ok then , last time we were about at this point.


At his point, it was time to run up the inside.

Additional part was the waterway plank,
that light color one at the bottom where it meets the deck.
It's there on the box top but not in
the kit as a listed part...
ah well, nothing new there but a lump of 8mm square lime wood strip
and a quick sand down sorted that.


I didn't need to go all the way to the top with the treenails
on the inside as some areas will be covered by the
hanging knees of the structure.

Next job was to square up the gun ports to the planned
32mm square so out mit der file,
large and rough type...

same as the user...

and some material removed top and bottom in short order.


Then in turn, some thin teak strip added to and bottom, then sanded flush.
Finally, a packing plank added to the top of the inside wall.








I can tell ya this much, it may not look all that great
but once it gets to the stain and wax being applied,
then the beauty of the wood will show itself, trust me.

So then, that sorted as much as needs be for now,
let's turn our attention to...

Gettin' Fired up About Cannons!

Two of 'em to be precise.
Now as said some time back, this is supposed to be a
representation of an English ship early 1800's.
Well here's where the first bit of fartin' about takes place.
In approximate size and considering scale,
the guns stack up to a close run for a British long 12 pounder.
Well close but not quite,
here's the gun barrel as supplied.


And here's a plan drawing of what one is supposed to look like.


A bit of difference there I think you'll agree so
into the lathe chuck with this and take down
the muzzle flare to somewhat more correct proportions.
Also the pomellion...
the lump at the rear of the barrel...
required a bit of reshaping.

On top of which, no Astragal...
final band before the rear of the gun barrel...
so that was machined in.

What a life eh?








And we ain't done yet lord save us all!
Trunnion pins duly turned to appropriate thickness and soldered into place.
As you'll see by the plan, it has a breeching ring on the back end of the gun barrel.

The strongest rope was used to stop the gun recoil when fired
and it was fed through this ring and secured to the hull sides.

So that had to be added as well as the plate at the
breech top which had the vent hole into which fine gunpowder
was poured and that was the firing point for the gun

Sort of light the blue touch paper and stand well back,
unlike fireworks though,
this bugger was somewhat louder and not very entertaining
for those on the receiving end.




So them were duly cleaned up and put aside while I got on with the carriages.
Now the laser cut plywood parts are,
to be honest, a bit rough and not very close in
shape to what I am after so they got binned.
A strip of parawood from my local timber shop sorted
that however and some fresh sided were cut and
fiddled about with by yours truly.

Then fresh axle blocks were cut from 8mm square lime wood
and drilled to accept 5mm dowel axles.
That lot then assembled along with a bit of teak strip
for a transom just behind the front axle block.




Ok then, done and dusted so onto the wheels.
I used the kit supplied ones as:
A) It's easier.
And
B) The real things are made from laminated wood pinned together
so looks wise, close enough.

So to represent pins, 6 holes drilled in each and
pins added ala treenail fashion.
Then the dowel axels with the axle pins, assembled as is,
then all glued into the appropriate places.












A whole rake of holes drilled for the tackle and gun training loops,
also the loops for the cap square plates that
hold the gun barrel on the carriage.

Then added the stool bed and the chock,
a big wooden wedge shaped block to raise or
lower the gun angle.
Sanded the axle stubs down to an appropriate length then...
Finally, a coat of wood stain.






Nice!
That done, all the metalwork was then added and
we finally ready to get the gun barrel on.


So then the gun barrels were given a hefty airbrushing
with Humbrol metalcote polished steel.
It's an enamel, just apply,
give it an hour then buff the living daylights out of it.

Here's the gun barrels after the paint is dry.


And after a goodly buffing up, we get this.


Very pretty!
I like this stuff used this way,
last one I did I used this paint and on the rings of the cannons,
it rubbed off a bit so we had dark metal barrels
with goldish accents.
May not be accurate but does look kinda nice.

So all polished up,
a spot of metalcote gunmetal down the bore of the barrel,
sling them on the carriages,
lock down the cap squares and we are good to go shoot summat
and look pretty damn smart while doing so!








Not too shabby at all methinks!
Well that's all for now people,
take good care of yaselves and i'll catch you next update time.
Go easy gang!

Oh...looky here...Page 1Page 2...now there's a shock!Page 3...Just a few more bits.Page 4 going in leaps and bounds here.Page 5 Framing fun and games ya know.Page 6, startin' to get together.Page 7...twice in a day, good grief.Page 8. Odds and sods.Page 9. Bits and bobsPage 10. Double figures...now theres a thing

Page 11. And...i'm spent

Page Number


BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes