BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes

FA-37 Talon From the movie 'Stealth'
1/24th Scale

Here we go again!Page 2...now there's a shock!Page 3...it's going ok so far.Page 4, yep, gettin' on with it.Page 5, a bit of progress...finally!.Page 6 and the modeling groove goes on...and on...and on...and on.Page 7, scribing by this scribe.Page 8, Canard calamities.Page 9, Ripping a bit off and trying again.Page 10, Casting conundrums if you will.

Page 11, and a second line already!Page 12, castings everywhere!

Page Number

Well troops and troopettes, back again wouldn't ya know it with another work in progress.

Ok, this particular monster was an starting request for a one off model but nope, interest stated so from a one to possibly several.
I'll be fitting this in along with the other WIP stuff and models that are not having a WIP gallery so i'll try to get along with it as fast as I can...
Oh come on...i only got so much webspace and time to plaster up pages you know...

Oh lordy...

...shall we?

I Mean.....Wazzitallabout?

Well now, some years ago, at least it feels that way, a movie
....of dubious storyline and credibility but it had the somewhat gorgeous Jessica Biel in it so not all bad...
did tell the tale of three ace pilots testing out some new fangled winged thing for covert missions.
Said winged thing looking something like this...

FA37P2.jpg - 36317 Bytes

FA37P6.jpg - 24344 Bytes

FA37P8.jpg - 32731 Bytes

FA37P14.jpg - 27355 Bytes

FA37P16.jpg - 33672 Bytes


That said and reluctantly pushing thoughts of Miss Biel aside for a sec, time to get to the building.
Now it was planned for a one off as said but that chaged as usual so time for a bit of referance grabbing.
As it happens, through one of the sites I frequent, a whole rake of pics of a study model built for the filmmakers of the afore mentioned movie turned up.
Said site thread can be found right by clicking here and it will open in a new window.

Oh by the way, the site is one chockfull of talent and excellent models but also one where free speech is promoted and moderation at a minimum so don't go getting all offended by some of the threads, that's your only warning from me if you decide to have a wander about the place, okedoke?

Ok then, those pics, screen caps and a set of plans that came from sources which shall remain confidential were duly gathered.
Said plans were 1/50th but a bit of work with paintshop pro and the poster setting on me printer and these were enlarged to the appropriate size for scale.
This will make the model 36" long with a 34 1/2" wingspan. That's wings fully out because this puppy be a variable geometry (swing wing) thing.

So to begin with, I intended to do a rough balsawood mockup but as luck would not have it,
the usual local supplier had suddenly gone and shut up shop on a permanent basis and anywhere else didn't have anywhere near enough for my needs.
So sod it all, I decided to proceed with the master pattern.

Now doing this old school style, i.e. carving the basic shape out of wood in the same manner I did the Eagle transporter command modules and the whole SHADO mobile body work.
The basic shape of the fuselage would be done from lamiated pine board, each bit being 18mm thick and with the ever present sap pockets duly dug out and filled.
First layout, the top and bottom of the fuselage using paper patterns and introducing them to me bandsaw.

Now looking at the ref I have, there are more than just a few differences between the full size mockups and the CGI models used. The CGI ones are a bit sleeker and to my mind look better so that one will be used as the overall basis of shape.

Pic_0002.jpg - 62716 Bytes

The intakes and engine section will be seperate parts so this bit will form the basis. 11 of each part sandwiched together to make the fuselage top and bottom.

Pic_0003.jpg - 51938 Bytes

Pic_0009.jpg - 44195 Bytes

Pic_0008.jpg - 56887 Bytes

Pic_0004.jpg - 65854 Bytes

The parts will be trimmed to rough plan shape then worked down with electric sanders, motor tools, much cursing, sandpaper and elbowgrease.
It is currently planned that when finished, the top of the fuselage will have an undercut around the edge so the bottom will fit nice and snug with a good gluing edge.
The wood blank will have more than just a few coats of epoxy resin to harden and smooth the surface.
The forward part of the fuselage has an edge which is supposed to be razor sharp so these areas on the master will be formed from hard plastic as it's a lot more forgiving to dings if it gets hit against something than just wood will be.
The forward canards will have a lap joint in the fuselage.
That is to say the mounting points on the lower fuselage will stick out to make a wide and therefore soild gluing area and no mistakes setting the angle when attaching them.

Last bit for this first page, the paper patterns for the wings, tail and canards.
The small dot on the wing template near the root is the pivot point...yes I intend to make the wings movable and the tail likewise. The tails rotate from the slanted position to flat and level with the wings when they fold.

Pic_0007.jpg - 52805 Bytes

This whole monster is up to be cast in epoxy fiberglass and resin parts, I may, and I stress MAY, supply a kit of parts to interested parties along with whatever other buildups I do of this beastie.
Well up to me neck in dust and woodchippings for the next wee while so i'll be back when there's something of relevance to report so untill then, you goodly lot go easy!

Here we go again!Page 2...now there's a shock!Page 3...it's going ok so far.Page 4, yep, gettin' on with it.Page 5, a bit of progress...finally!.Page 6 and the modeling groove goes on...and on...and on...and on.Page 7, scribing by this scribe.Page 8, Canard calamities.Page 9, Ripping a bit off and trying again.Page 10, Casting conundrums if you will.

Page 11, and a second line already!Page 12, castings everywhere!

Page Number


BTWIP.jpg - 5430 Bytes